Monday, June 01, 2015

Goldsmith scores - quick reviews - 'A'

Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies (1973) - A mostly light and kind of silly score.  This is only the second time I've listened to it, and alas, it doesn't hold much appeal for me.  No favorite cues.

Air Force One (1997) - I've never been able to get into this score.  You think I'd like it, lots of action, but other than a brief Russian theme, this score is ultimately forgettable.  No favorite cues.

Alien (1979) - Of the four scores I listened today, this is the one I know and like the best.  This a good writing score, when I need something dark and creepy.  I have two versions of this, the original album and the complete.  I usually write to the complete version, but listen to the short album when just in the mood to hear it.  Favorite cue:  "The Landing."

Alien Nation (1988) - A rejected score.  Why anyone rejects a Jerry Goldsmith score is beyond me.  This is one I listen to rarely, but it has some stuff I like in it.  Favorite cue:  "Got a match?"

Of these four movies, I've only seen Alien, so can't speak to how any of the others fit (or would have fit) the films they were written for.  Alien, despite its production conflicts regarding the score, would not be half as effective without that music.

1 comment:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I've seen Air Force One half a dozen times at least, but the music never said, "Buy me!" so I can see it not being one you'd dig. Haven't seen any of the others, so don't know the music at all.