Friday, October 08, 2010

They Died With Their Boots On (1941)

I'd never seen this movie before. Watched it back in September and never had time to post about it. I think it's great that since I've seen it, several other posts on it have popped up! I love the timing!

And I really loved this movie. I rented this one primarily for Arthur Kennedy, but was not disappointed in anything else about it. In fact, everything about it surpassed my expectations. The supporting actors were all top notch. Errol Flynn made a great romantic screen Custer. Olivia de Havilland could not possibly be more beautiful. I have to admit, I haven't seen many of her films, mostly just the Errol Flynn/de Havilland combos and, of course, Gone With the Wind. She's wonderful in every one of them, but for some reason, her performance in this movie particularly struck me. Now I want to see more movies just to watch her.


This has to be one of the most romantic movies I've ever seen, in the best sense of the word. They really are a great screen pair.

And I loved Arthur Kennedy in this. Loved how he would be fighting panic every time Custer confronted him. His character wanted to be anywhere else in the world but right there, dealing with his long time nemesis. And, naturally, I loved his fate, me being so fond of that good old redemption theme.


3 comments:

Irene Palfy said...

I just love Olivia de Havilland and Errol Flynn together! Awesome post!

Colin said...

This is a really excellent movie, and one of Flynn's best. That last scene between Flynn and De Havilland is powerful and poignant - it would be their last film together and it caarries great punch, both within the context of the movie and without.

I don't know if you noticed it or not, but it really is a movie of two halves, the second being the more successful IMO. Raoul Walsh's strengths really kick in when the action moves west and predominantly outdoors. Needdless to say, it's bad history but great cinema for all that.

DKoren said...

Thanks, Irene!

Colin - yes, definitely a movie of two halves, and I also find the second half both more involving and more interesting, but then our characters are more mature then, facing moral dilemmas and personal issues that. The first half is much lighter in tone.