Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"It doesn't matter."

Day 12 - An episode you’ve watched more than 5 times

A single ep? I've seen whole series (like Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) far more than 5 times! But lessee now. I was going to pick my favorite Buffy episode, but I think I'm going to go with something more obscure that I love just as much.

Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years ran just a single season, but, boy howdy, it had some good episodes. It's predessor, Lonesome Dove: The Series was also good, but had a completely different tone. Much lighter, not that many shadows, until the final ep. The Outlaw Years, however, jumped right into the heavy-duty, serious stuff. I couldn't get enough of it when it aired, and I was so mad when they canceled the show. Particularly as the ending leaves off in the bloody middle of everything going to hell in a hand basket! The nerve!

My favorite episode is entitled "Redemption." (Of course!) This ep hits just about all my favorite themes, and hits them well. Redemption, characters who profess not to care but who care and care deeply. Characters trying to evade blame. False accusations and frame-ups. Traitors. Evil corporations. And a big one: characters who choose right over their own personal prejudices. Ah, it's very satisfying episode in a series of satisfying episodes. (Hm, this makes me want to make a list of my 10 favorite episodes, from any show.)

No comments: