Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"...when you get a ship of your own."

Music and words, words and music... such a potent combo. I'm still reading "Wanderer" by Sterling Hayden. I love this book. I've been deliberately reading slowly, oh so very slowly, because I don't want it to end. I like how he puts words together. Compelling, concise, visual, startling, sometimes brilliant. He makes me want to go to sea, and I am not remotely an ocean person unless it's cruising beneath the waves in a submarine. But his own love for the sea is in every single word...and you can't read and not be affected. At least I can't. I read a long time tonight, slowly, reading some passages over again, aloud to hear how they sounded. Horner's score to "A Beautiful Mind" was on in the background... a fitting accompaniment -- both words and music tonight covered depression, despair, and then regained hope. And the moment of unexpected hope in the book was enough to make me cry.

No comments: